The British Dietetic Association recommends that you drink at about two and a half litres of water a day to stay hydrated. We lose up to three to four litres of water every day. Through breathing alone we lose approximately one to two litres.
If you do not consume an adequate amount of water you risk becoming dehydrated. This can cause anything from mild discomfort such as sleepiness and headaches to more serious medical problems like low blood pressure and palpitations.
Here is a list of Top Tips for Healthy Hydration to help you stay hydrated.
• Start the day right! Drink a large glass of water when you wake to re-hydrate you after the night and to flush out the toxins that have built up in your system
• Take regular breaks to have a drink. Have dedicated times in the day where it becomes part of your routine to stop for some water
• Make sure you have a glass of water when you eat breakfast, lunch or supper
• If you’re on the move, take a refillable bottle of water near so that you can take a drink whenever you feel like or need it without having to wait
• Keep a chart to track how much you drink each day to make sure you are drinking enough
• Try to drink mostly water. The USA Beverage Guidance Panel recommends that water should make up between 20 to 100 percent of daily drinks. Water is the best drink available to quench your thirst and for your health
• If you think plain water is a bit boring, add slices of lemon or squeeze a little bit of fresh orange juice to add some flavour